Latvian Language Agency’s linguists provide consultations on questions regarding the Latvian language. Every citizen can receive such consultations:
- on the representation of foreign proper nouns in the Latvian language in accordance with the norms of the Latvian literary language;
- on matters of spelling and identification of person’s names; when first names written in different languages may refer to the same person (e.g. Ivan in Russian, Johan in German and Jānis in Latvian may be the same person whose name is spelled in accordance with the spelling traditions of each language);
- on questions regarding spelling, pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary and language style.
Read about the LVA’s latest mobile app “Language consultations: an electronic database”.
This app contains a summary of:
- Frequently asked questions addressed to the LVA’s linguists;
- issues explained in the section “Language consultations” compiled in the collections of popular scientific articles titled “Language practice: observations and recommendations” and published by the LVA;
- Decisions by the State Language Centre Latvian Language Expert Commission.
Our specialists also provide linguistic opinions, i.e., explanations of a word, sentence, or passage from a linguistic point of view, that help better understand them in the given context.
To receive a statement regarding the representation of foreign proper names in Latvian, please bring a document or a copy thereof containing the original spelling of the surname in question (a passport, birth certificate, etc.).
The representation and spelling of persons’ names in the Latvian language is regulated by the State Language Law and Cabinet Regulation No. 114 “Regulations on the spelling and use of personal names in the Latvian language, as well as their identification”.
In accordance with Cabinet Regulation No. 790 “Price list of paid services provided by the Latvian Language Agency”, as of January 1 2014, the following services will be provided for a fee at the Latvian Language Agency:
– on the identification of a personal name of the same person written in different languages,
– on the identification of the spelling of different personal names of one person (both forenames and surnames) written in Latvian,
– on the identification of the different spellings of gender-specific personal names (both forenames and surnames),
– on the change of one’s first name, surname;
2) linguistic statements explaining words, word combinations, text fragments;
3) linguistic expert’s statements explaining words, word combinations, text fragments.
Detailed information on these paid services can be found on the LVA’s website – About us/Paid services
The Latvian Language Agency’s linguists are available for consultation at Meistaru iela 10, Riga, LV-1050.
Working hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8.30 to 17.00, break time from 13.00 to 13.30.
The LVA does not accept visitors on Fridays.
Telephone number for information and consultations 67225879; e-mail: email@example.com.
Consultations are provided:
- via phone 67225879:
- via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org;
- in person.
The linguists of Latvian Language Agency provide consulting related to various topics in Latvian language, available to any resident. Major part of consultations deals with:
- Proper spelling of foreign proper nouns in Latvian corresponding to the standards of literary language.
- Spelling and orthography of persons’ names and cases of personal identification (for example, to acknowledge that Ivans (in Russian), Johans (in German) and Jānis (in Latvian) might be the same person whose first name just has been adapted according to the standards and traditions of the language it has been spelled in).
- Questions related to orthography, literary pronunciation (orthoepy), grammar, language culture and literary style.
Also, our experts provide linguistic examinations and expertise, i.e. elaborate linguistic explanation and interpretation of a word, sentence or parts of text – how to understand and perceive it in a given context.
To obtain certificate about the spelling of a foreign proper noun in Latvian, a valid document (passport or birth-certificate) that states the original form of the respective proper noun or a copy of such document must be presented.
The spelling and identification of persons’ names in Latvian is regulated by the State Language Law and Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia, Regulation No 114 “Regulations on Spelling, Usage and Identification of Names and Family Names”.
According to the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia, Regulation No 179 “Regulations on state agency’s “Latvian Language Agency” paid public service’s price list”, Latvian Language Agency, as of April 1, 2011, will charge for the following services:
- Acknowledging the identification of a person whose person’s name is written in different languages
- Acknowledging the identification of a person whose person’s name (first name and/or family name) has various spellings in Latvian
- Acknowledging the identification of one’s kin name (first name and/or family name) that has various spelling variants
- Regarding the change of first name or family name
2) Linguistic examinations and conclusions regarding the explanation and interpretation of a word, sentence or parts of text
3) Linguistic expertise related to the explanation and interpretation of a word, sentence or parts of text
Linguistic consultations in brief
Our linguistic experts service customers at the Latvian Language Agency, Meistaru street 10–401, Riga, LV-1050.
Office hours: Monday – Thursday: 8.30-17.00 (please note our lunch break 13.00 – 13.30)
Consulting is available via:
- Phone (+371 6722 5879)
- In person