An invitation to participate in the European Day of Languages events
The annual language festival – the European Day of Languages – is approaching. Since 2001, EU member states celebrate the European Day of Languages – a celebration of linguistic diversity – on September 26 by urging everyone to keep learning new languages throughout their lives. These events are organized and coordinated in Latvia by the Latvian Language Agency and its partners for the 18th year.
The 9th international Baltic student conference “Bridges in the Baltics” will be held on September 23–24 at the University of Warsaw.
The event “Play Scrabble at the House of Languages!” will take place on Saturday, September 24, at 15.00. The games will be held in Latvian, English, German, Norwegian, and Estonian. Host: Valodu māja (Riga, Avotu street 3).
On Sunday, September 25, at 18.00, the House of Languages is hosting a Scandinavian book club event. We’ll discuss the book “Bird” by the Sámi writer Sigbjørn Skåden. The event will be held in Scandinavian languages, and it is hosted by the House of Languages (Riga, Avotu street 33).
On Monday, September 26:
- From 10.00–18.00 – European language marathon. Learn popular phrases in different EU languages! Students and young children will be able to assume the roles of teachers. Dozens of students will become talented teachers and help attendees learn phrases in English, German, Polish, Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch, and other EU languages. The event is organized by the House of the European Union (Riga, Aspazijas bulvāris 28). Info: esmaja.lv.
- At 12.00, “Afternoon with Ukrainian culture”, a concert of Ukrainian and Latvian songs by Katrīna Gupalo as well as activities for children: the learning of new Latvian words in a novel way and the making of postcards. Ukrainian chefs will give masterclasses on making Borscht. Roberto Meloni will be the host of the event. Location: Riga Support Center for Ukrainians (Riga, Amatu Street 4). Attendees are required to pre-register here.
- At 16.30, a lecture “Language as a mirror of change” by Lauma Terēze Lapa. English Department of the University of Latvia Faculty of Humanities at Visvalža street 4a.
- At 18.00, Aiga Veckalne’s lecture and discussion “How to avoid excluding others with language?” The event is organized by the House of Languages (Riga, Avotu street 33).
- At 19.00, Žulijens Nuhums Kulibali’s discussion with various actors “Tongue-twisters – language on screen, actor’s language, the language of cinema”. The event is organized by the House of the European Union (Riga, Aspazijas bulvāris 28).
- The search for dialect words continues. Anyone interested is invited to get involved and submit a noteworthy dialect word they’ve noticed and found noteworthy by visitng the initiative’s website: https://apvidvardi.lu.lv. The event is organized by the University of Latvia’s Institute of the Latvian Language and the UNESCO LNK.
On Wednesday, September 28, at 16.00, participants are invited to attend the seminar “Latin-Latvian dictionary. Solutions for reproducing proper nouns in Latvian” (prof. Ilze Rūmniece, asoc. prof. Gita Bērziņa, doc. Brigita Cīrule, doc. Ilona Gorņeva). The event is organized by the University of Latvia’s Faculty of Humanities Department of Classical Philology (Visvalža street 4a, Riga).
On Wednesday, October 5, participants are invited to attend language masterclasses.
- 17.00 Masterclass in Greek (lecturer Gatis Ezerkalns, prof. Ilze Rūmniece).
- 18.00 Masterclass in Latin (doc. Ilona Gorņeva, prof. Ilze Rūmniece).
The event is organized by the University of Latvia’s Faculty of Humanities Department of Classical Philology (Visvalža street 4a, Riga).
On Friday, October 7, at 18.00 – a Spanish language evening. Organized by the Center for Spanish Culture “Seneca” (Riga, Barona street 62-3).
The European Day of Languages festival will continue by honoring the Latvian language as the national language of the Republic of Latvia.
Every Sunday morning in October (October 9, 16, 23, 30) at 10.35 – readings of students’ creative works “You are the treasure of Latvia” on the program “Ielūdz Radioteātris” on Latvian Radio 1. The creative works will be read on air by Santa Didžus and Mārtiņš Budovskis. Director Valdis Lūriņš. Latvian Language Agency, Latvian Radio 1 “Ielūdz Radioteātris”.
On Friday, October 7, at 14.00 – the book launch of the Latvian translation of Daniel Everett’s book “Language – a cultural tool”. Organized by the Latvian Language Agency and the University of Latvia (LU small hall, Riga, Raiņa bulvāris 19).
On Friday, October 14, at 15.00 – the book launch of the book “Latvian surnames in archive materials: Vidzeme”. Organized by the Latvian Language Agency. Valmiera Library (Valmiera, Cēsu street 4).
October 15 – November 18. The initiative “A celebration of language”. The Latvian Language Agency invites everyone to share stories, examples, and thoughts on the people, books, and events that made you realize the value and beauty of the Latvian language. https://vards.valoda.lv/.
September 26 – November 18. Students’ creative works competition “A language lives if it is spoken”. (National Latvian schools and Latvian schools abroad). The Latvian language agency announces the annual competition of students’ creative works “A language lives if it is spoken” and invites students from Latvian schools and Latvian schools abroad to submit their works and participate. The competition will be held from September 26 – November 18. We will expect each school to submit its nine best works (essays and drawings) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to the Latvian Language Agency’s new address – Riga, Meistaru street 10–401, LV-1050.
For more information on the European Day of Languages program, visit www.valoda.lv.
A LANGUAGE LIVES IF IT IS SPOKEN